ScholarPrep Nation (SPN), is a virtual Afrocentric college access program for young scholars 8th - 12th grade. ScholarPrep Nation brings together academically talented and motivated Scholars from around the world into a vibrant intellectual community with teachers who are passionate about their disciplines, accomplished in their fields, and above all, dedicated to teaching. In the discussion seminar, a cornerstone of the SPN education, Scholars and teachers engage in a rigorous academic program that develops the critical reasoning and argumentation skills so essential for success at the collegiate level and beyond. Beyond the classroom, Scholars and instructors continue to collaborate in a dynamic virtual community, centered on student clubs, activities, competitions, and student publications.
Please Note: This is a one year, fixed-term position. If selected, you will work remotely from your home work location.
The High School Success Coach will be responsible for providing SPN Scholars and families with the full range of academic advising services related to course selection and enrollment. As a key team member, you will assist talented and motivated Scholars and their families as they develop academic plans and manage their course enrollment. The SPN Advising Office utilizes a team-oriented approach. While advisors work with specifically assigned Scholars and families as their primary point of contact, the advice they provide aligns with the team and school’s shared goals and aims; resulting in a successful enrollment process and academic year. The ability to communicate with colleagues and families, understand the unique nature of the school and its Scholars, and to contribute ideas about new initiatives that will advance the goals of Stanford SPN are vital to success in this position.
Provide academic advising services primarily to 8th-12th grade Scholars in our virtual/web-based platform, ScholarPrep Nation. As a SPN Navigator, you will be assisting young scholars and families in making decisions on issues regarding their academic journey. This includes but is not limited to:
- Manage a caseload of 25-50 SPN Scholars with Monthly check-in calls and bi-weekly email communications
- Build and maintain positive relationships with our SPN Advisors
- Educate and inform SPN Scholars and their families on 4- year college prerequisites
- Review transcripts and monitoring academic progress for accountability and coaching
- Engage Scholars by focusing on outreach and retention efforts.
- Provide advice to Scholars on a range of issues, including, but not limited to: academic progress, career plans, accessibility, and online community guidelines
- Ensure that Scholars’ courses, assigned by the school, are aligned to the student’s strategic plan and career objectives and track student performance to discuss academic, personal, and career goals
- The SPN Navigator will be responsible for monitoring the successful progression of the college process with advisors and supporting them when and where needed
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
A year and half of college (72 units successfully completed) years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to ScholarPrep Nation’s mission, vision, and cultural elements of connection, optimism and vibrancy.
- Strong communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, client groups, and management
- Advanced analysis and problem solving skills
Proficient with Google Suite. Experience with database systems (e.g. Salesforce) a plus
- Professional customer service skills
- Relevant computer systems/technology experience
- Experience developing trusting relationships with under-resourced high school Scholars
- Ability to ensure and apply compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations
- Ability to frequently sit, and consistently perform desk-based computer and other office-related tasks
- Willingness and flexibility to work some weekends and evenings
ScholarPrep Nation is for you, if...
You are keenly aware that not every student has the same chances at getting into college as others. Whether it is that they’re from traditionally disadvantaged communities, first generation Scholars and/or their relationship with school simply hasn’t been favorable. Maybe you personally identify with the lack of support you received on your college journey and you want to change that. Imagine having a direct impact on the experience of a young scholar and providing them with what you believe every high schooler should get. With ScholarPrep Nation, you can provide them with access to a personalized pathway to the college and career of their dreams with money to pay for it.
We seek talent driven to honor the richness of our ancestry, impact the future of our legacy and be a change agent in the lives of young people today. Your experience with ScholarPrep Nation will provide you with:
- Ease of Use. Plug & Play to our online platform via text-to-chat, online community app, and mobile phone
- Consistency. We offer flexibility within your schedule and set assignments based on your availability
- Training & Development. We offer career development programs for SPN Navigators interested in the field of education
- Perks & Prizes. Who doesn’t like a little competition? Energize the month with friendly challenges!
- Be the Change. This is more than an online app...this is a movement to effectively change how Scholars access college guidance and coaching forever. Join us!
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.
**Note: The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
- Consistent with its obligations under the law, ScholarPrep Nation will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- ScholarPrep Nation is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law
- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. All candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S.